Today we will discuss about Type of English Sentence Pattern and the Examples. In every language, we know a concept called subject and predicate. In order to have meaning and be understood, a sentence must have at least a subject and a predicate. If one of them is missing, then the sentence is incomplete.
Type of English Sentence Pattern and the Examples
English has a similar concept. A sentence must contain at least two elements in order to have meaning, namely Subject and Verb (Predicate). There is also a third element called object, but this element is not required in the sentence.
Consider the following examples: Rizki bought a new book.
In the sentence above, Rizki is the subject and bought is the verb. Because there is already a subject and a verb, the sentence above becomes meaningful and understandable. Try to compare with the sentences below:
- Rizki a new book.
- Bought a new book.
Since there is no verb in sentence (1), its meaning is not clear. What does "Providence of a new book" mean? What did Rizki do with the book. Likewise in sentence (2), who bought the new book? Due to the absence of the subject, the sentence becomes ambiguous. Even grammatically no (2) cannot be called a sentence because of the unclear meaning and imperfect structure. Therefore, it is important to learn good and correct sentence structure.
The types of parts of speech that can be the subject of a sentence are:
Example of sentences:
- The cat is eating a fish.
- She walks so fast.
In example (1) above, the subject of the sentence is a noun, namely the cat. Whereas in example (2) the subject is a pronoun, namely she.
2. Verb (Predicate)
The predicate in English is generally occupied by a verb. Verb itself is divided into two types. The following are common types of verbs used as predicates in a sentence, along with examples.
1. Action verbs, namely verbs that mean work/activity. Example:
- Budi made a cake.
- He is singing.
2. Linking verbs, namely verbs that function to connect the subject with the predicate or description. Linking verbs can be in the form of to be, such as am, is, and are, or conjunctions, such as look, become, taste.
- My cat is so cute. You look happy.
The types of words that can occupy the object position are basically the same as the subject, namely nouns, pronouns, gerunds, and infinitives. But besides the four types of parts of speech earlier, adjectives can also occupy the position of objects if they are preceded by linking verbs. Look at the example sentences below.
- She is a student. She is smart.
Types of Sentences
Based on the purpose of its use, sentences are divided into four types:
- Declarative sentence: a sentence that aims to provide a statement (declaration) which can be in the form of information or opinion. Example: I have a new book.
- Interrogative sentence: a sentence that aims to ask something. Example: Do you have a new book?
- Imperative sentence: a sentence that aims to ask someone else to do something, give instructions, or give orders. Example: Please buy a new book.
- Exclamatory sentence: a sentence that aims to express feelings. Example: This new book is so beautiful!
1. Linda is ……… a book.
- a. paint
- b. house
- c. very
- d. reading
2. sold fried chickens.
- a. Hey
- b. Work
- c. big
- d. where
3. Fandi looks ……….
- a. Jakarta
- b. swim
- c. sad
- d. will
4. My uncle is very tall.
- a. is
- b. buy
- c. dogs
- d. clothes
5. They ……… volleyball.
- a. make
- b. play
- c. eat
- d. kill
Summary about Type of English Sentence Pattern
In English, there are several expressions that can be used to greet other people, including:
- Good morning/afternoon/evening
- Nice to meet you
- How are you?
- How have you been?
Various parts of speech include:
A sentence in English must have at least two elements, namely Subject and Verb. Objects and other elements can also be added to sentences, in a certain order.
Subject can be a noun, pronoun, gerund, and infinitive.
There are 2 types of verbs, namely action verbs (verbs that show activity) and linking verbs (verbs that connect subjects with predicates or descriptions). Objects can be nouns, pronouns, gerunds, infinitives, adjectives, and adverbs of place.
Thus the material about the Type of English Sentence Pattern and the Examples and answers. Have a good study.