How to do a mail merge in word? In this tutorial, we will share tips on how to create a mail merge using Microsoft Word.
What is the main function of mail merge?
Mail merge helps us to create a document (eg a letter) with the same contents for different recipients quickly and easily. This feature is very helpful especially when there are a lot of recipients.
Mail merge can also be used to create certificates, labels, and envelopes.
To create a mail merge in Microsoft Word consists of 2 documents, namely:
- Master Documents, documents whose contents are the same for all recipients.
- Data Source, which is a document with specific contents for each recipient, for example the name and address of the recipient.
Data source can be data in Excel, Access, Contact in Outlook and so on.
In this tutorial, the data source is using Excel, because it's faster. Other than that:
- Easier to control and add new data.
- It is easier to read the data displayed in an Excel worksheet, especially if we want to correct mistakes such as misspellings and so on.
- It also makes it easier to copy the data source in an Excel document to another worksheet.
For example, in creating a training certificate with more or less the same participants, it will be easier to select a name on the worksheet and copy it to a new document (data source).
The steps for how to do a mail merge in word
A. Stage I Creating a Data Source
- Create a data source in Excel like the example below and save it as Data Letter.
B. Stage II Creating Master Documents
- Create a letter master document in Word like the example below and save it as Letter Master.
- Leave space to put names and addresses. This document should not be closed because we will continue with the following steps: combining the Data Source with the Master Document.
C. Stage III Combining the Data Source with the Master Document
- Next we will choose the data source.
- On the Mailings tab, in the Start Mail Merge group, click Select Recipients.
- Select Use Existing List, and locate the document (Letter Data) in the Select Data Source dialog box. Then click Open to display the Select Table dialog box.
- In the Select Table dialog box, click the worksheet that contains data sources and make sure the First row of data contains column headers box is checked. Then click OK.
- Now we will place the data in their respective places.
- Place it on the cursor under the text To Dear, then on the Mailings tab, group Write & Insert Fields, click Insert Merge Field and select Name.
- Do the same for the Address and now the document display will be like the example below. Data is shown in square brackets << data field >>.
|Insert merge field|
- Here we can set the letter format, such as bold the Name and so on.
- If only certain data you want to select, do the following:
- On the Mailings tab, in the Start Mail Merge group, click Edit Recipient List.
- In the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, clear the boxes on the list as shown in the example below.
- When adding new data to Excel, click the document name on the Data Source and click the Refresh button. The new data will be displayed in the list.
|Mail merge recipients|
- To see the merged result, click the PreviewResults button. Letter will be displayed per data. Click the arrows to move between data.
If you still have something to change, click the button again PreviewResults and make the desired changes.
D. Stage IV Saving and Printing Mail Merge
- At this point, click the Finish & Merge button and select: Print Documents, to print letters. There are 3 options:
- All to print all letters.
- Current record to print letters on the current page.
- Fill in the serial number of the data in the From and To boxes, to print only the selected letter.
|Merge to printer|
Edit Individual Documents, to save the merged results into a new document.
Same options as above (All, Current record and specific sequence number).
On a new document, each letter will be displayed per page. Do not forget to save the new document.
Thus the tutorial how to do a mail merge in word that we demonstrate with pictures. By using mail merge it will save your work in sending letters to many recipients. Save time and save energy and resources.