In the following Ms Excel tutorial is about how to creating a drop down list in Excel easily and quickly. How to? Check out the full description in the article below.
The drop down list or also known as combo box serves to help facilitate data input from an existing list. So that it can help speed up your work in data input.
What are the Drop Down List benefits that you get?
The use of the drop down list in Microsoft Excel is very useful for you, including the following:
- Helping data input be faster. This is because you just have to choose from an existing drop down list
- Reducing typing errors and data validation. The data sources in the drop down list have been made in a separate format beforehand so that the data can be confirmed as valid
The tips on how to create an Excel drop down list below are the easy and fast methods. So this method will be very suitable for the category:
- Drop down list with few choices.
- Only used on one worksheet.
How to creating a drop down list in excel with Comma-Separated Values
Please follow the detailed steps below:
- The first step, click the cell that will be given a drop down list.
Note: you can directly select more than one cell. Including cells that are located separately from other cells. The trick is to press the CTRL key on the keyboard while clicking the cell you want. Another condition is that each cell has the same answer options. An example in this tutorial is for example selecting 3 rows of cells in the answer column.
- The next step, go to the Data tab, Data Validation, click Data Validation.
- On the Settings tab, do the settings as shown below:
- In the Allow section, select List.
- In the Source box, type the contents for the drop down list, separated by commas or semicolons (depending on the settings on your computer).
- Make sure the In-cell dropdown box column is checked.
- Not required: check the Ignore blanks box when you allow drop down cells to be left blank.
- • Click OK. The drop down list has been completed.
We can use the copy paste method to copy and place this drop down list in another cell, on a worksheet or in another Excel document.
How to Delete a Drop down List that has been created.
To delete a Drop down List, do the following steps:
- Click a cell in one of the drop down lists that you want to delete.
- Click the Data tab> Data Validation> Data Validation.
- Check the Apply these changes to all other cells with the same settings box, if you want to clear all drop down lists that contain the same contents on the worksheet.
- Click the Clear All button to delete.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
How to Edit Drop down List Fields
If you want to edit the drop down list that has been created, for example, you want to increase or decrease the options in the drop down list, then you can do it with the following steps:
- Click on one of the drop down list cells.
- Click the Data tab> Data Validation.
- The Settings tab will display a drop down list that has been created. Make the desired changes (eg increase or decrease the drop down list). Make sure to tick Apply these changes to all other cells with the same settings, the goal is that the changes that have been made apply to all drop down lists that contain the same contents.
- Click OK.
Although this drop down list can be copied and pasted to another worksheet, adding and deleting the contents of the drop down list only applies to all cells in the same worksheet.
That is the excel tutorial about creating a drop down list in excel, deleting it and changing the contents of the drop down list. May be useful.